|raisedbymoogles (raisedbymoogles) wrote,|
@ 2007-09-14 18:34:00
|Entry tags:||memes, real-life adventures, work|
Because I was tagged.
Because, you know, I never do memes unless I'm told to, being totally not an attention whore at all. ;)
4 jobs I had in my life:
1. Java and web monkey for a dude's home business (my first job, and to date the best-paying job I've ever had not counting the one I'll be starting in a week)
2. Gift registry drone at Babies R Us
3. Marketing intern for a firm that helped nonprofit orgs get funding
4. Custom frame shop ninja (but not for much longer~!)
4 movies I can watch over and over again:
1. Transformers: The Movie (the 1986 one. Beats the current one for campiness hands down. ^_^)
2. A Muppet Christmas Carol
3. Robin Hood: Men In Tights
4. The Lion King (it was pretty much all I watched for two days when I was laid up with a broken leg).
4 places I've been on vacation:
1. BotCon '06, Kentucky
2. Tokyo Disney
3. Knoxville, Tennessee, visiting Seiber with the Brits
4. Switzerland (when I was 6. Ask me about the killer sheep.)
4 of my favourite dishes:
1. mu shu pork
2. my mom's chicken curry over white rice
4. peanut butter and jelly sammich
4 places/countries I would like to visit:
4. New Orleans
4 most overused words or phrases:
1. O hay!
3. What'd I do wrong now?
4. Good day! (I have to say it every three seconds during parade at RenFest. I get SO SICK OF IT.)
4 gadgets that you have:
1. Creative Zen Vision:M mp3 and video player, name of Ricochet *_*
2. Cell phone, a.k.a. Thundercracker
3. USB drive, answers to Arcee
4. External hard drive, se llama Bluestreak (yes, I name all my gadgets, lemme alone.)
4 TV shows I love to watch:
2. Dirty Jobs
3. Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! (omgshutup)
4. Iron Chef
Also, because I can never get enough of telling you all how dumb I am, a funny story about how I almost got caught with my hand in the Internet cookie jar at work again.
Most of the LJ crew knows the story behind this, but all you really need to know is that my boss changed the computer password without telling me a bit after she caught me surfing the Net at work, but I found a way to sneak on anyway. So I was trucking merrily along today, writing for kinkfest, and in comes a dude wanting to buy a Webkinz. He duly hands over his credit card and I swipe it like a good little retail monkey.
"Fuck off," says the card reader.
"Um," I respond intelligently. Swipe swipe swipe. "Oh shit. Okay, Imma go call my boss now."
Long story short, I was told to hang out and Bosslady would come fix it, Webkinz dude leaves, (we lose a sale, onoes!), and I go back to the workputer to save my tentacle pr0nz and shut down before Bosslady gets here.
...Um. Let's just say I got a teeeensy bit distracted by the tentacles. I wound up accidentally hitting "log off" rather than "shut down" right as Bosslady and her daughter walked through the door. Let me again reiterate that I knew she was on her way here.
"Oh shit," I think, "she's going to ask why the computer's on, when she turned it off before she left me All Alone this afternoon. No one to blame it on. Oh shit."
"Hi, Moogle!" says Bosslady. "Okay, let's fix this."
"^_^;;;;", says I.
She goes to the card reader, which is within sight of the computer. The monitor's facing away from it, so she couldn't see it was on, but at the same time if I made any move to mess with it she'd have been on me like fangirls on Starscream. So I hover nearby, decisively between her and the computer, and pray she has no reason to go any further into the back room.
"I'm going to go fetch my credit card from my car," she says then. "Daughter mine, you go call the help line people."
Exit Bosslady, exit Bossdaughter's attention span while she makes the call. Thinks I, Opportunity knocks!
So I sneak over, but now what to do? A click of the mouse or keyboard will betray me, and the button on the tower won't shut it down. So instead, I ever so carefully wiggle-wiggle-wiggle the plug out of the back, crossing my fingers, holding my breath - there! Compy is safely off, and when Bossdaughter looks up again, I am innocently fiddling with my crochet.
Not a moment later Bosslady returns, saying, "I almost brought in my [card that we don't accept]." That was five seconds that saved my life, boss.
In summary: Snake Eyes I am not, and that was, as the poets say, way too fucking close.